Dental implants are becoming an increasingly popular method for replacing missing teeth. In this procedure, titanium supports are surgically fused with your jawbone, and act as an anchor for naturally looking false teeth. Dental implants are not only used for individual tooth replacement, but can also be used when replacing multiple teeth as an alternative to dentures.
Advantages of Dental Implants
• Implants are extremely natural looking
• Fusion of the implants into your jaw make them very stable and comfortable compared to traditional dentures
• They can last a lifetime
Types of Dental Implants
Your dentist will be able to tell you which of the three types of implants is right for you:
• Root Form Implant: This is the most common type of implant where the screw is shaped like the root of a tooth.
• Plate Form Implant: A plate form implant has a flat and long shape and is better suited for a narrow jawbone.
• Subperiosteal Implants: In some cases where there is not enough bone width or height for the root form or plate form implant, a subperiosteal implant may be prescribed. This type of implant is designed to sit on top of the bone, but under the gums.